About Us

Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2016

Break Out the Canning Jars

My grandmother had a beautiful garden full of vegetables and I remember her canning so much of her harvest each year. My Mom did the same thing for years as well. It wasn't until a few years ago I was brave enough to give it a try as it always looked so daunting to me! I'm so glad I did.

Twice a year I make a BIG batch of homemade marinara sauce. It's so much better than store bought and I load it with vegetables.

homemade marinara sauce

The first time I used fresh tomatoes. WAY too much work for this little lady. The next time I let Costco help me by using 1 large can of crushed tomatoes and 1 can of tomato puree. The super sized cans like restaurants use.

There are so many good marinara recipes out there (I've included links to several below that also have step-by-step instructions), but my recipe is sadly packed away until we get moved into our new home. The big difference in my recipe is I chop and saute a ton of fresh vegetables (onions, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, celery, carrots and red pepper) that I add to my tomato base and let simmer together before jarring. You can either leave your sauce chunky with the vegetables or puree it with an emulsion blender right in your big pan (this is how I sneak vegetables into food so my grandkids will eat it).

homemade canned marinara sauce

Let me know if you give it a try or have a favorite marinara recipe I should try.

Smells Like Home - Homemade Canned Marinara Sauce

Completely Delicious - Homemade Marinara Sauce

Simple Bites - Homemade Marinara Sauce

The Yummy Life - Homemade Marinara Sauce


No comments:

Post a Comment